- Saint Andrew Cathedral
- Archaelogical Museum
- Achaia Clauss
- Holy Monastery of Omblos
- Neoclassical Patras
- 1821 and Panagiotis Karatzas
- The Ghost of Patrinela
Patras is a modern city of 200,000 inhabitants and its port is the gateway of the country to the West.
The city has a long history and glorious past. Its maximum peak coincides with the years of the Roman Empire. The urban structure of the modern city is strewn with important findings of the Roman period as the restored Roman theater, which hosts shows even today, the Hippodrome, the Aqueduct, Bridge Meleichou and scattered temple and housing foundations , as well as the largest collection of Roman mosaics of the country housed in the modern Archaeological Museum of the city.
The old church of St. Andrew was built between the years 1836-1843 in the place where a temple of ancient goddess Demetra stood. At the same point in 66 AD the first disciple of Christ and patron saint of the city had a martyr death, he was crucified. The jewel of Patras, the newest church of St. Andrew, was founded in 1908. It seats 7,000 people and is the church dedicated to the city's patron saint. It is the largest church in Greece and one of the largest in the Balkans. Inside you can find the skull of the saint and parts of the Cross on which he martyred.
In the town Apostle Andrew martyred and his remains are buried there. In the middle of the 4th century, with the actions of Emperor Constantine the Holy Relics were moved to the Temple of the Holy Apostles in Constantinople. When the Franks conquered Constantinople, the relics were transferred to Italy. It was on September 26th, 1964, when the Holy Head of the Apostle returned to Patras by Pope Paul and after the efforts of Patras and the Orthodox Church.
From the Byzantine period, the city was enforced with a castle and with significant fortification additions by the Venetians and the Turks. The castle is associated with the local legend of Patrinela. The Turks also built the two castles facing the entrance of the Corinthian Gulf, the Castle of Rio and Antirrio.
In 1821 Patras was among the first cities of the Peloponnese that rebelled against the Turks.
After the liberation, the modern city was built by Kapodistrias in the exact position of the ancient city, with the Hippodameian architectural care of Voulgaris. Its neoclassical character still survives today in the midst of the modern buildings. A top city architecture neoclassical sample is the Apollo Theater, designed by Ziller, located in the main square of George the First.
The modern Rio Bridge connects the suburb of Rio Patras with Antirrio , uniting the Peloponnese with western Central Greece . In addition, the city hosts the largest European, Mediterranean-style carnival, the famous Carnival of Patras, with its main features the satirical and extravagant floats and spectacular dances and parades.
Sights of the city:
The Byzantine Church of the Pantocrator (God Almighty)
The Roman Odeon and the Hippodrome
The Neoclassical Patras
The Church of St. Andrew
The villas of raisin trader in Ities and Roitika
The famous winery of Achaia Clauss
The historic Monastery of Omblos at the sunset