SAINT ANDREW CATHEDRAL
Apostle Andrew was the brother of Simon Peter and the two fishermen were from the city Bethsaida of Galilee. Andreas together with his brother Peter were the first students to be invited to follow Jesus Christ. So, Andrew was called "Protoklitos" (which in Greek means the first to be called).
He spread the message of the Gospel in Asia Minor and to mainland Greece with great tours, with Patras as his final destination where he was tortured to death on the cross, probably during the era of persecution of Nero . His body was buried with reverence by the first bishop of Patras Stratoklis .
In the middle of the 4th century, with the actions of Emperor Constantine the Holy Relic was moved to the Temple of the Holy Apostles in Constantinople.
When the Franks conquered Constantinople, the relic was transferred to Bari, Italy. On September 26th, 1964 the Holy Head of the Apostle returned to Patras by Pope Paul.
The two Temples of the Patron Saint of Patras, Saint Andrew are considered to be Hellenic and Orthodox pilgrimage. The old church was built between 1836-1843 in the place where Saint Andrew was tortured and died. The new Church of St. Andrew was inaugurated in September 1974 and is among the largest in the Balkans.
Next to the old temple is the well of Saint Andrew. In its place existed the well of the ancient goddess Demetra which also functioned as an oracle for the sick. The area of the divine well was the place where Apostle Andrew taught. According to the tradition, next to this well he was crucified .
St. Andrew is the patron Saint of Patras, Russia, Scotland and the Ecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople . The Ecumenical Patriarchate honors him as the founder and first bishop of Byzantium and honors him on 30th November.